A French Bulldog is becoming one of the most popular breeds of dogs around the world. Have you ever thought of why this adorable breed comes with a higher price? Well, there are a couple of reasons to say that why French Bulldogs are so expensive.
Before you come to any decision let’s check out why these little Frenchies are so expensive.
- Artificial Insemination: French bulldogs go through artificial insemination as they cannot mate naturally. It gets difficult for the male bulldog to reach the critical part of the female bulldog because of their short legs and narrow hips. If they try to do so, they can get injured. The narrow hips make the natural birthing process nearly impossible. Stud fees start around $1,500 and can go to $7,000+ depending on structure and DNA.
- Medical Tests: To produce these popular puppies, breeders must intervene with some costly medical treatments. A Progesterone test is required to know when the female bulldog is ovulating. Progesterone test range between $100-$200. Pregnancy tests and several other check-ups are required to ensure that the future mother is healthy and strong enough to carry the litter. Ultrasounds are also required and range between $50-$100.
- C-Section: Natural birthing is next to impossible so a C-section is always necessary. The large heads of the puppies can get stuck which can result in loss of the puppies, injury, and death of the mother. The procedure is about 90 minutes. The expense may go higher if any emergency occurs. The mother can go through this process a maximum of three times. Caesarean sections usually cost somewhere between $500-$2000 depending on if you use a veterinarian or not for the procedure.
- Post-Pregnancy Care: Post-Pregnancy care is a difficult period. The mother will bleed for 3-7 days and will go through a very painful period of healing so the breeder needs to play the role of the puppies’ mom. From feeding the litter to cleaning them and getting them vaccinated, everything is to be taken care of by an experienced breeder or typically a whelping service. Whelping services can cost a few thousand dollars per litter. The first few days and weeks are essential for the good growth and development of the little Frenchie.
- Special Nutritional Diet: Pregnant Frenchie moms require a high-protein diet to produce lactation. It is extremely important to make sure that the future mother is healthy to reproduce the litter.
One needs to invest a lot of time, effort, and a lot of money to bring these little adorable Frenchies into the world, and all this is not without risk. Yes, French Bulldogs are quite expensive, but the joy of owning a French bulldog is priceless. Go through everything and do proper research before buying yours.